Thursday, January 7, 2010

Digital Artz


Okay, so like we're in January mode at work which totally means lots of overtime... which also means less personal time. And I want overtime, it's not mandatory. I have a good job that has nothing to do with my hobbies.

I got home today and I had to fix a virus on my Dad's computer. No big, but it took like an hour and a half. Then I thought, I could totally just doodle something on my tablet pc... which ended up a comedy of WHAT TABLET DRIVER. After some googling and research I just reinstalled the driver. Can't calibrate, but it appears to be working better than before I installed so... yeah. That's what I get for allowing Windows updates to install I suppose.

Back to the subject at hand, despite owning a Wacom (or 2), I really suck at digital art. Coloring pictures, creating pics from scratch. Illustrator is my nemesis. I am good friends with Photoshop, but he is quite outdated. My tablet pc came with a cheapy version of Coreldraw which is fun, but I actually do get frustrated that the stuff doesn't quite play the same as it does on paper. I suppose I'm more of a paper/pen artist, that has an evil scanner. Technically, I'm more of a storyboard artist that can mediocrly put together panels and create a story that someone might be interested in, some day. Either way, I get frustrated with the whole digital process since I would like so much to actually do decent shirt designs, but the concept-to-computer-to-what ends up is never to my satisfaction. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong and really can't afford to take a class to figure it out, because I spend too much money on things like tablet computers. You get the idea.

So I doodled in corel and came up with this lame picture. YAY! Looks to me like a woman with short hair with closed eyes at an angle. Indeed. I think I also want to do like all the X-men. That might be fun in a fan-arty sort of way.

2 comments:

  1. Kitty, thanks for sharing the drawing. I agree with monkeyswag that you have used great colors and your lines are decisive. This whole MSCE thing is about doing our creative work and getting better so I am sure that you will. There are lots of great tutorials online that are free to help you with Illustrator. I learned vector in CorelDraw first so I know that it is more user friendly than Illustrator. But use what works for you. Here is a blog with 16 Design blogs for learning Illustrator. http://creativenerds.co.uk/articles/16-design-blogs-for-learning-illustrator/

    Keep up the good work. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have. Oh, and MS AUTOMATIC updates are the devil. ;)

    ReplyDelete